Wednesday, March 2, 2011

To (Some) of My Countrymen/women

Why can't we love who we are? Why can't we accept the fact that we are brown skinned, with average height, with brown eyes, and with quite flat noses? We are Filipinos anyways, aren't we? No one (should) expect us to be otherwise.

As proud as others are proud of their skins (and noses and heights), we should also be... as that is who we are.

Why do we look up to the mestizas and mestizos? Or to the Westerners who are whiter, taller, and with more pointy noses than us? Why is it that we consider darker skin uglier and whiter more beautiful???

In one conference I attended abroad, there is a Filipina co-participant who gave me a pin of the Philippine flag. She proudly handed it to me as she was wearing one BUT she is also wearing blue-grey contact lenses. As tactless or forward (whatever suits) as I can be, I asked her why is she wearing blue-grey lenses. Her reply: I DON'T LIKE THE COLOR OF MY EYES. Oh great, another "proud" Filipina we have there. I ended up not wearing the pin she gave JUST BECAUSE IT IS FROM HER.

On the other side is a guy I met in Baguio. He's a blue-eyed bloke who claims to be a true-blood Filipino. He is a mestizo but his heart is so Filipino - I say 100%. I asked him if he speaks the language of his mom, he don't. He speaks Filipino though - fluently... and Ilocano and maybe some other Filipino languages/dialects. He is Filipino... also in first name, last name, and passport.

Some can claim that being mestizo or mestiza is easier. And some would even find it as an advantage. Oh well, it can be... but don't you think that it can be difficult too? Especially for those who try to raise our banner as Filipinos and show the world that there are a number of things that we can and should be proud of? And to those who true-bloods in their hearts but not in appearance?

There are lot of aspects of being a true Filipino which can be argued and disputed in length... or agreed about HOWEVER I am still just talking about the "aesthetic value" (if that is the politically correct term to use) in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment